CLDR Ticket #5918(closed enhancement: fixed)
Correct misunderstanding of bcp47 timezone codes
|Reported by:||mark||Owned by:||yoshito|
There was a misunderstanding of our codes on the TZ list. Cf. http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-May/017974.html
We should make sure we are clear in the spec.
CLDR is specified to use 5 letter UN LOCODEs where they exist. Where they do not exist, it is specified to use a non-5-letter code, precisely so that they do not overlap with future UN LOCODEs. When the codes are not 5 letters, the first two letters have no meaning.
The codes are stablized, meaning that they will not change no matter what changes happen in the base codes. So if Hawaii leaves the US and joins Canada as a new province, "ushnl" would not change in CLDR even if the UN LOCODE changes to "cahnl" or something else.
I should have added: LDML may add aliases for the codes.
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Component changed from unknown to spec
- Priority changed from assess to minor
- Milestone changed from UNSCH to 24final
- Owner changed from anybody to yoshito
- Type changed from unknown to enhancement