CLDR Ticket #6783(accepted data)
Add digits to exemplars
|Reported by:||mark||Owned by:||mark|
It would be useful to also know which digits are in customary modern use. Right now, it is possible to approximate that information, but it is clumsy and only approximate. Moreover, we don't use that in our tests, so we can't check for mismatches.
Here is an approximation.
- get the defaultNumberingSystem from the locale
- lookup the numberingSystem in supplemental data
- if there are digits, add them to the main exemplars
- get all the <symbols numberSystem="xxx">
- if xxx is not the default, get the digits as above, and add to the aux exemplars.
This is only approximate, because some of the numbering systems may be in common customary use, and belong in main instead of aux.
I suggest writing a CLDR modify pass to do the above, adding the digits to the exemplars as specified. Then in the next Survey Tool phase, ask translators to look at the digits in the main and aux, and file a ticket if changes need to be made.
FYI, the ones that would be in main would be the following, based on current data. BTW, It was surprising to me that Urdu in India uses Arabic(ext), while in Pakistan it uses Latin...
locale exemplars numbering system ar_DZ [0-9] latn ar_EH [0-9] latn ar_LY [0-9] latn ar_MA [0-9] latn ar_TN [0-9] latn ur [0-9] latn ar [٠-٩] arab fa [۰-۹] arabext ks [۰-۹] arabext pa_Arab [۰-۹] arabext ps [۰-۹] arabext ur_IN [۰-۹] arabext uz_Arab [۰-۹] arabext as [০-৯] beng bn [০-৯] beng mr [०-९] deva ne [०-९] deva my [၀-၉] mymr dz [༠-༩] tibt
We can then augment our tests to check that
a) digits in the text of a locale are in main or aux.
b) the digits in the main are in the default numbering system
c) the digits in all other numbering systems are in either main or aux.
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Component changed from unknown to data
- Priority changed from assess to medium
- Milestone changed from UNSCH to 25rc
- Owner changed from anybody to mark
- Type changed from unknown to enhancement
- Phase changed from final to dsub
- Milestone changed from 27 to 28