CLDR Ticket #7465(accepted enhancement)
ST SQL: move BLOB to utf8mb4
|Reported by:||srl||Owned by:||srl|
Early in SurveyTool development, I found that MySQL didn't support supplemental characters in its so-called "utf8" encoding. So, I switched to using BLOBs and doing my own encode-decode DBUtils.setStringUTF8...
By 2010 and MySQL 5.5.3, the utf8mb4 encoding was added which theoretically supports supplemental chars. I have not tested it. There is a migration guide here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-unicode-utf8mb4.html
Another wrinkle is that (as I remember) when xpaths are encoded as utf-8, only 300 chars (not bytes) can be handled in the uniqueness index versus 1000 when latin1 is used.
For this reason, the SurveyTool runs in the latin1 encoding.
Investigate upgrading to use 'native' utf8mb4 and something else for xpaths (may need to switch to stringid, separate ticket)
- Owner changed from anybody to srl
- Priority changed from assess to major
- Type changed from unknown to enhancement
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Milestone changed from UNSCH to 27dsub