CLDR Ticket #9169(accepted data)
Tamil transliteration convention for ழ
|Reported by:||vasurenganathan@…||Owned by:||sascha|
I do see a potential ambiguity due to using L (ள்) for lateral and the retroflex continuent (ழ்).
11FE0 TAMIL SIGN KULI (குழி) may be ambiguously read! So also, 11FE1 TAMIL SIGN VEELI(வேலி).
The former should be KUZI and the later should be VEELI (as it is).
There are other similar cases due to using L for ழ.
Following may be reconsidered by replacing L with Z instead
1FD3TAMIL SIGN AAZAAKKU
11FE0 TAMIL SIGN KUZI
1FD5 TAMIL SIGN MUUVUZAKKU
11FD0 TAMIL FRACTION DOWNSCALING FACTOR KIIZ
In our earlier submissions Tamil Nadu government did agree to the proposal to use either Z or ZH for the retroflex continuent letter ழ். We may as well follow the earlier consensus on this matter.
INFITT Liaison for Tamil Unicode
- Status changed from new to accepted
- Component changed from unknown to translit
- Priority changed from assess to medium
- Phase changed from dsub to rc
- Milestone changed from UNSCH to upcoming
- Owner changed from anybody to sascha
- Type changed from unknown to data