CLDR Ticket #9984(accepted site)
Add readme to data directories, change names.
|Reported by:||mark||Owned by:||mark|
Fix problems in the data directories by making the following changes.
- Change 'core.zip' to 'common.zip' (or cldr-common-30.0.3.zip to cldr-core-30.0.3.zip), consistently.
- Add a ReadMe.txt with the following contents:
This directory contains data files for a cldr release. To find out more information about the release, see http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads. Notes * The versioned zip files are identical to the corresponding non-versioned files of the same name. For example, in http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/X.Y.Z/, cldr-tools-X.Y.Z.zip is identical to tools.zip. * Older releases may use the term 'core' instead of 'common' * There are other files in the release that are not packaged in this directory. Those are available in SVN. For details, see http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads.
- Fix http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads
- add a section that talks about the data directories with the above information.
- In http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads#Repository_Organization, mark which directories are in the data directories, and which are only available via svn. Some other fixes need to be made; for example, the text has: "common — CLDR data corresponding to the release", but common is not all the data corresponding to the release; keyboards contains data corresponding to the release. And "seed" is in the release, but just in SVN, not in the data directory. Probably best to, say, bold the sections that are in http://unicode.org/Public/cldr, and have a sentence that says that the bolded sections are in the data directories while the others are available via SVN.
I would suggest making these changes back to http://www.unicode.org/Public/cldr/30/
In 30.0.3 we innovated by adding versioned files:
[ ] cldr-common-30.0.3.zip 13-Dec-2016 10:50 15M
[ ] cldr-keyboards-30.0.3.zip 13-Dec-2016 10:50 1.3M
[ ] cldr-tools-30.0.3.zip 13-Dec-2016 10:53 29M
[ ] core.zip 13-Dec-2016 10:50 15M
[ ] keyboards.zip 13-Dec-2016 10:50 1.3M
[ ] tools.zip 13-Dec-2016 10:53 29M
But there are a number of problems that this exposes.
- The 'core' and 'common' mean the same thing here, but confusingly use different names.
- Also, someone going to the directory could be confused into thinking that the versioned and non-versioned files are different.
- Longer term problems are also exposed, that it isn't clear that the data is not everything in the release, etc.
- Owner changed from anybody to mark
- Priority changed from assess to medium
- Type changed from unknown to site
- Status changed from new to accepted
- Milestone changed from UNSCH to 31