The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help identifying some unusual Latin letters
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 am 

I'm trying to identify some Latin letters that appear in the work of Christian Vander and his band Magma. Vander's "Kobaïan" lyrics and titles are heavy on the diacritics, but most are easily recognizable, if not necessarily common combinations. There are three, though, that I can't pin down: a G with "horns", an S with a "crown", and some sort of E. I'd like to know how best to represent them in text, if possible.

Last.FM's listing for Ẁurdah Ïtah spells track 6 as "Ẁohldünt Mᴧëm Dëẁëlëss", using U+1D27 GREEK LETTER SMALL CAPITAL LAMDA, but that can't be right. The Lyrics Wikia uses "/e" for the strange E. In both sites the S-with-crown tends to get reduced to simple S, although these are distinct in the original text (the Ẁ also usually loses its grave, though that is less problematic, because a W never appears without one in Kobaïan). This (unofficial) Kobaïan-English glossary, which ignores all diacritics, ASCIIfies the strange E as "^e", as does Discogs, which preserves the umlauts and all diacritics on French titles.

Are these original to Vander, or do they have precedents? How should I represent them in text data (e.g. ID3 tags and in music databases)?

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying some unusual Latin letters
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:44 pm 

These are original, and seem to be simple typographic variants of G, S, and Ë. As such, they should be represented by G, S, and Ë.

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying some unusual Latin letters
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:58 pm 

I'm not sure what you mean by "simple typographic variants of G, S, and Ë". They are not used interchangeably with those letters, so they are clearly not variant glyphs, and folding them in with basic G, S, and Ë would be information loss (albeit of a sort that most people probably wouldn't care about, since it's effectively unintelligible anyway).