The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Combining marks & ® sign.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 pm 

UTR #50 revision 5 wrote:
There is actually one character for which a contextual determination would be useful and reliable: U+00AE ® REGISTERED SIGN, which can occur both following terms in kanji/kana and following terms in Latin. An occurrence of ® should be assigned the same class as the character it follows. Others? Enough to warrant the complexity of contextual rules?

I'm wondering if we had a value of "I" (inherited) if that would not work properly not only for the ® sign, but also any combining marks. You could then set NBSP as SVO=R and the Ideographic space as SVO=U to allow for exhibiting combining marks in isolation, and it would simply follow from their inherited value. We could even go with In/Ip (inherit next/previous) to accomodate open/close quotation marks. Does that seem like a reasonable solution to anyone else?

Post subject: Re: Combining marks & ® sign.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:09 am 

While I agree that context dependent orientations is a nice feature, I'm not a big fan of defining it in Unicode.

I think it's a good application feature. Applications are facing users and can confirm if automatic translation matches to user's intention. Once applications determined the translation is correct, they should be able to persist the confirmed orientation, and it should stay unchanged once persisted. I think Unicode is responsible for the persistence, so that it won't change for decades or even more.

Consider smart quotes many applications implement today. User types U+0022. Applications suggests open or close depends on context, and then persist it as U+201C or U+201D. It will never change once persisted.

Because UTR#50 is the lowest building block of rendering layers, I think not being too smart works better.

Doing such separation has benefits for applications to improve the logic without concerning Unicode. When MS Word designed smart quotes and other AutoCorrect features, MS kept improving them for multiple versions. Such logic might look simple at first look, but will become much more complicated if you consider more use cases and multiple scripts. It's an area of improve and compete, rather than standardize, I think.