The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

The Unicode Consortium Discussion Forum

Forum Home  Unicode Home Page Code Charts Technical Reports FAQ Pages 

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question2: The default orientation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 am 

"Latin letters of acronyms are upright, while words and sentences in the Latin script are typically sideways."

As far as I observe many printed publications, not only acronyms but almost all glyph of Latin letters are upright when it appears at single, isolated position in vertical writing text.

And almost all Arabic numeric letter and other numeric letters appear upright. Numeric letters seldom appear sideways in Japanese context.

"This default determination is based on the most common use of a particular character."

The glyph orientation of a particular character depends on the style of the publication. How can you determine the most common use?

Regards,

Tokushige Kobayashi
Antenna House, Inc.

Post subject: Re: Question2: The default orientation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 pm 

TKobayashi wrote:
"This default determination is based on the most common use of a particular character."
The glyph orientation of a particular character depends on the style of the publication. How can you determine the most common use?

We are collecting feedback from several places and trying to identify the majority, but you are right that it may still be one of the styles. I can propose s/the most common/one of the most common/. Hope this resolves your concern.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm 

kojiishi wrote:
TKobayashi wrote:

We are collecting feedback from several places and trying to identify the majority, but you are right that it may still be one of the styles. I can propose s/the most common/one of the most common/. Hope this resolves your concern.

It seems to me you are saying UTR#50 is also one of styles :lol:

It is quite easy to observe the numeric numbers are upright in almost 90% or more cases in Japanese vertical writing publications. But you are going to set the default of them sideways saying that is a style.

This is the simple fact.

Regards,

Tokushige Kobayashi
Antenna house, Inc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm 

I'm not sure if I understand what you want to say here. Is this a proposal to make digits U+0030-0039 to upright? If so, I can run the proposal to the WG and get the resolution back to you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:32 pm 

kojiishi wrote:
I'm not sure if I understand what you want to say here.

One point of what I want to say here is that the following
description is not enough:
"Latin letters of acronyms are upright, while words and sentences in the Latin script are typically sideways."

The second intended point is:
It seems to me that you neglect to research the actual Japanese vertical publications before defining the proposed default orientation. Until now, I have not seen any evidence that you have gathered before determining the proposed default orientation.

Regards,

Tokushige Kobayashi
Antenna House, Inc.