Re: I18n Draft 4

From: Jonathan Rosenne (100320.1303@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Wed May 29 1996 - 13:17:07 EDT

The attcahed was posted to the html-wg list.

Jony

I have just submitted draft-ietf-html-i18n-04.txt to the
internet-drafts editor. As usual, a peek preview is available from:

<http://www.alis.com:8085/ietf/html/>

as well as the following:

Changes (-03 to -04):

- Language improvements here and there.

- Added conditional BIDI requirement in Conformance (if you do BIDI,
  do it right).

- Removed references to default HTTP charset.

- Changed doc. char. set from BMP to full UCS. Minor changes here
  and there ("UCS-2" changed to "UCS-2 and/or UCS-4", etc) to reflect
  this.

- Added admonition about num. char. refs between 128 and 159.

- Added note about 10646 DAM 5 (the "Korean mess").

- Section 4.2 (Markup for language-dependent presentation) vastly
  rearranged and partly rewritten. In particular, clarified that
  markup does not *replace* legal Unicode BIDI formatting characters,
  but can be used *instead* of these, or mixed with extreme care.

- Added directionality-dependent default for ALIGN attribute.

- Form submission section rearranged.

- Expanded warning about return of default value from a form.

- Added a few comments to the DTD.

- Added reference to MNEM (RFC 1345) as possible UCS encoding.

- Added admonition about SHY.

- Updated bibliography

I guess this is now ready to go to last call.

--
Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Alis Technologies Inc., Montreal