Re: Unicode, Cure-all or Kill-all?

From: KNAPPEN@VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE
Date: Mon Aug 12 1996 - 09:40:35 EDT

Martin Duerst wrote:

>Assume I show you the character Tai2 (a triangle on top of a square),
>alone. If you can tell me whether this is Taiwan, Typhoon, or Sir,
>I will accept that we can use three separate codepoints. But I am
>sure you can't.

You confuse glyphs with characters.

Assume I show you in isolation something looking like `A'. Can you
tell me from seeing it in isolation whether it is a Latin capital A, a
Cyrillic capital A or a Greek capital Alpha? I bet you can't. It could also
be a Latin small latter a, represented in a caps and small caps font, or
the \forall quantifier turned 180 degrees.

Despite having similar or even identical glyphs, all these possible
characters have correctly different codepoints. You have to gather the
additional information to make the right choice.

Yours, J"org Knappen.