Re: Unicode, Cure-all or Kill-all?

From: Thomas Nielsen (100065.2167@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 14 1996 - 05:55:33 EDT

John H. Jenkins wrote

>>The problem, though, is that your average computer user isn't a
>>typographer (or a mathematician) and gets very vague about the
>>differences involved.

Agreed.

>>The Macintosh, for example, has had an em-dash (or is it an en-dash?) as
>>a part of its standard character set for the last twelve years -- and yet
>>most Mac users persist in using the hyphen as a dash or, if you're
>>particularly lucky, two hyphens.

He, he - I've got this problem several times <g>

>>Asking someone to make the proper distinctions between hyphen, minus,
>>hyphen/minus, em-dash, en-dash, and so on when all they're doing is
>>writing a quick letter to Aunt Sue -- it's hard.

I know, but never the less it is important to distinguish between hyphens
em/en-dashes, minus and other related characters when working with professional
typography.

>>(Not that I really disagree with you -- I think Unicode did the right
>>thing here. It's basically a problem of education and HI.)

John, I think you got this wrong - Unicode did the right thing by distingusing
between those characters. I don't disagree with you...

Thomas Nielsen, MGI Software Corp.