Re: New 8 Bit Character Sets

From: Rick McGowan (Rick_McGowan@next.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 1996 - 13:41:46 EDT

Putting on my individual subscriber hat...

Excuse me, but on the "Unicode" list I'm not personally very interested in new
8-bit ISO standards, so that discussion could go elsewhere and I wouldn't mind
at all...

Anyway Jonathan made a proposal for a new UTF. Why not use an existing UTF?
I don't want to have any more transformation formats, especially "official"
ones. This stuff is already too baroque. Just give me Unicode, please.

If you need or want a private protocol for some purpose, or you want to add a
protocol to something like MAIL, then that has nothing to do with the Unicode
standard per se.

        Rick