Re: LastResort BDF font updated

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 00:13:23 EDT

    Glen> It seems to me that that it might be useful to have a second set of
    Glen> glyphs for LastResort purposes that didn't use a character from the
    Glen> script as the mnemonic so it would be easier to remember what they
    Glen> stood for and so it would be easier for the average unicode user to
    Glen> distinguish one from another.

Your reply is a little late, Glen! I had a bet for a free lunch that someone
would want a font containing glyphs with English-based mnemonics within 24
hours of my first post about the font last week. Oh well. Guess I'll have to
cadge my meals elsewhere :-)

With apologies to Ogden Nash:

  "Names cause everyone to complain, but pictures quickly become fixtures."

Opinion: it did not take people long to learn all those international icons
for things like bathrooms and airports. I do not think there is any reason to
expect people to learn these much slower, do you?
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Antoine de Saint-Exup éry
Las Cruces, NM 88003