Re: MES instead of ISO 8859-nn

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Fri Jul 04 1997 - 17:02:39 EDT

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Jul 4, 3:08pm, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
> > and if this is not possible it is better you do nothing!
>
> Doing nothing is equivalent to labelling as 8859-1, according to HTTP.

No, giving no information is not the same as labelling as 8859-1.
It's true that historically, 8859-1 is the default, but as a default,
it is much lower on the priority list than if it's labeled.

> I don't see how the application can not know what character set it
> is using.

This is an easy one. Take an application where you can switch the
font. You switch to e.g. a Cyrillic font, but the application doesn't
know that it's Cyrillic. True, on modern systems, there are ways
to find out the encoding of the font, but an application written
without i18n concerns in mind won't do it.

Regards, Martin.