Greek/Hebrew duplicates (was: UK)

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sat Nov 29 1997 - 22:03:33 EST

Timotheus Partridge scripsit:

> I'm surprised Unicode doesn't have a separate code point
> for this considering its obsession with U+2126 micro sign, U+00B5 ohm sign,
> U+2135 alef symbol (Hebrew, not Greek) etc. Perhaps it's because the others
> are designators / constants rather than variables.

Er, that's U+00B5 MICRO SIGN and U+2126 MICRO SIGN. They are in there for
ISO-8859-1 and KSC compatibility respectively.

U+2135 ALEF SYMBOL and its immediate successors are not just compatibility
characters, though: they have neutral rather than strong directionality.
If U+05D0 HEBREW LETTER ALEF were used, any subscript would wind up on
the left (following) side, rather than the right side where it belongs.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.