"Eyebrow Repha" (Marathi and other languages)

From: John Clews (10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 10:35:45 EST

"Eyebrow Repha" (Marathi and other languages)

I think that there is a case for "eyebrow repha" (a RA-variant in
Marathi etc, often to the left of letter YA, and looking like an
inverted breve) to be added to UCS (ISO/IEC 10646 and Unicode).

Do any implementors of UCS implement this "eyebrow repha" in some
other way? It is not coded in the UCS standard as such.

I ask this because in ISCII (Indian Standard IS 13194:1991), a
combination of the normal RA-WITH-NUKTA (U+0931) plus HALANT (or
VIRAMA - U+094D) is used to achieve this characters (see
Indian Standard IS 13194:1991 page 12, and codes D0 and E8).

I would be very glad to know list members views on:
(a) whether "eyebrow repha" is achievable with UCS as it stands;
(b) whether anybody has implemented this character, and how;
(c) whether it should be added as a new character within UCS.

I look forward to seeing responses from list members.

Best wishes

John Clews

--
John Clews (Chair of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages)

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, U.K. Email: 10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk; tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432