Re: non-latin hyphenation?

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Tue Apr 07 1998 - 02:47:32 EDT

Bob_Hallissy@sil.org writes:

> I know that in some non-Latin scripts, words can be broken across a
> line but no symbol is used to indicate this. I believe many languages
> based on Ethiopic script behave this way.
>
> The question:
>
> What other conventions exist for denoting an unusual (e.g.,
> middle-of-word) line break?

For coding the unusual possible line-break, there is a character
in 8859-1 and in UCS that has the appropiate semantics: SOFT HYPHEN,
and Danish Standards recommends using that to denote possible
hyphenation points in a word.

> In particular, are there any natural
> languages that denote a word break by a mark at the beginning of the
> *second* line (rather than at the end of the first)?

I have seen that sometimes, even in Danish text, but it is not common
here. I remember seeing it with a = at the second line.

Keld