BBEdit 4.5.2 (Mac) and Unicode

From: kjohnson@transparent.com
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 11:01:52 EDT

I received my copy of BBEdit 4.5.2 (a Macintosh text editor). It's support for
Unicode is limited to reading and writing Unicode-encoded characters that appear
in the MacOS Roman character repertoire plus BYTE ORDER MARK. Any other
characters, including LINE SEPARATOR and PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR, will cause an
error and the file will not open.

It does correctly translate between MacOS Roman encoding and Unicode. It
requires Text Encoding Converter 1.2 or higher to do this. It writes a BYTE
ORDER MARK at the start of the file and it can read and write files in either
byte order.

Kent Johnson Transparent Language, Inc.
kjohnson@transparent.com http://www.transparent.com