RE: Unicode and Java TextAreas

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Thu Apr 30 1998 - 16:04:27 EDT

Adrian Havill (havill@threeweb.ad.jp) wrote:

>If you use the current version of Swing with JDK 1.1, your JTextComponent
>will be able to accept nothing but ISO-8859-1. The Input Method Editor for
>CJK systems gets shut off.
>
>You'll either have to wait for JDK 1.2 (which, via the IM framework, allows
>non-Latin1), or use standard 1.1 widgets.
>
>Note that this is only for _inputting_ Unicode into Java. The current
>version of Java does most Latin and CJKV Ideographs in Unicode just fine.
>(No BIDI, non-spacing marks, etc., yet)

I realize that most readers here are interested in Windows support, but
FYI, Apple's Macintosh Runtime for Java 2.0 will both input and display
(including TextArea) any Unicode characters that the host supports,
including the localized system itself plus any installed language kits.
These kits currently support Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Cyrillic, Arabic,
Hebrew, Devanagari, Gujarati, and Gurmukhi.

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com