Re: Java 1.1.2 Native2ASCII

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 18:53:56 EDT

Michael J. Ditto asked:

> I am currently working with Java 1.0.2 on a project, but it uses Unicode
> 1.1.5.

There is no such thing as Unicode 1.1.5. Where did that terminology
come from?

> The current download of JDK 1.0.2 does not contain the Native2ASCII
> converter. JDK 1.1.6 has the converter, but it conforms to Unicode 2.0 not
> 1.1.5.

The only character move change from Unicode 1.1 to Unicode 2.0 is the redefinition
of the Hangul syllables area. In all other respects Unicode 2.0 is a superset
of Unicode 1.1 characters.

> I was unable to find a Native2ASCII for JDK 1.0.2 and have yet to
> hear from Sun. Does anybody have this converter, or does the 1.1.6
> converter work properly for non-Asian languages in JDK 1.0.2?

The issue for native2ascii is *character sets*, not *languages*.
But if it runs at all against JDK 1.0.2, the character set conversions
it supplies for all but Hangul characters should be the same as would
have been done for a JDK 1.0.2 conversion.

--Ken Whistler