RE: Can we read Arabic Text on English ver of Windows95

From: John McConnell (johnmcco@microsoft.com)
Date: Sun May 31 1998 - 16:47:50 EDT

Yes, it is possible to view Arabic web pages on a non-Arabic version of
Win95 or NT4 with IE4.

1. Download IE4 for enabled for Arabic from
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/iebuild/IE4_Win32/AR/10698.htm
This version is a superset of the English version of IE4 and includes
support for the DIR attribute, BDO element, the Unicode bidi algorithm and
the layout and rendering necessary for Arabic.

2. Install one or more Windows Arabic fonts e.g. from a Win95 Arabic system.

3. Reboot.

You should be able to view Arabic pages in several charsets including UTF-8.
To edit or enter data requires an enabled platform such as Win95/Arabic or
NT4 enabled for Arabic.

For pages without charset info (unfortunately still the majority), you'll
need to set the charset explicitly using the View/Fonts menu item.

John McConnell