Re: Mapping between Windows codepage and ISO codepage

From: Mark H. David (mhd@world.std.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 15:59:53 EDT

CP1255 (Windows Hebrew) is a superset of ISO 8859-8 (Hebrew), but it has
the vowel points and other characters needed to support Yiddish. In
addition, the vowel points are necessary to support writing Hebrew vowel
points, a way of writing that is not nearly as widely used as unpointed
Hebrew, but still is required for a great many applications.

CP1255 contains really the core set of Unicode Hebrew characters.

Also, note that its use also implies support for composed characters.

Mark David
UYIP, http://www.YV.org/