Re: Netscape 4.0.5 on Mac OS 8.1

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 14:22:24 EDT

Herbert Elbrecht (elbrecht@csi.com) wrote:

>(4.) On Mac OS 8 desktop this "mended" file "looks like" a Japanese
>named file, but Japanese/Language Kit users don't get fooled using
>UTF-8-style file names! "Osaka" will interpret UTF-8-style file names
>on/in Desktop/Finder NOT the UTF-8 way - displaying "wrong" characters
>on/in Desktop/Finder! But you are absolutely right in stressing:

Ohhhhh, OK, I get it now. Yes, the Finder will assume that all filenames
are in the character set of whatever is set as the current "Views" font.
So, if it's Osaka, it assumes all filenames are in the MacJapanese
encoding, regardless of what they are actually in. That's because the
file system doesn't actually tell it what the encoding is.

The solution we are planning is not to support UTF-8, but to take
advantage of the fact that HFS+ stores file names in Unicode. A new API
will provide access to those, and the Finder will display them directly
rather than the translated versions accessed through the old API.

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com