Re: Unicode-capable web browser

From: Misha Wolf (misha.wolf@reuters.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 07:03:35 EDT

Otto Stolz wrote:

[...]

> <http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-utf8.html>
>
> This UTF-8 encoded page is properly rendered by Alis' Tango browser
> (disregarding the Georgian part, for which I haven't any font available).
> Netscape Communicator 4.05 and MS-IE 4 properly render all but R-L samples
> (Arab, Hebrew, and Yiddish), because I do not have R-L enabled versions of
> these programs (as another poster in this thread has said, these are
> available for download, but I haven't tried them yet).
>
> <http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-ncr.html>
>
> This is the same text, using NCRs (cf.
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.3.1>). Tango and MS-IE
> display this page as the previous one; Netscape, however, breaching the HTML
> 4.0
> specification, cf. <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.1>, dis-
> plays only characters from the Latin-1 repertoire, in this page.

The above is due to a further, hidden, difference between the UTF-8 page [1]
and the NCR [2] version. The NCR page is the only one of the IUC pages not
to contain a charset declaration:

We did this deliberately, to highlight the point made here by Otto, namely
that the *full* Unicode repertoire can be expressed in HTML using *any*
charset at all, even "US-ASCII".

You will find that the Netscape browser correctly displays the NCR page if
you tell it, via the appropriate menu, that the page is in "Unicode".

It is my understanding that the next version of the Nescape browser will
display the page correctly without this help from the user.

[1] http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-utf8.html
[2] http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-ncr.html

> Best wishes,
> Otto Stolz

  Misha Wolf Email: misha.wolf@reuters.com 85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager Voice: +44 171 542 6722 London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited Fax : +44 171 542 8314 UK
 13th International Unicode Conference, 8-11 Sep 1998, USA, www.unicode.org

Reuters Ltd.