Re: New Bengali character?

From: Jeroen Hellingman (etmjehe@genesis.etm.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 02:56:12 EDT

> Thanks, now I can see the derivation.
>
> Where does it originate? Is this new, or has it been around forever?

It has been around for a long time, I have a book from the 1920's using it.

> In any case, why is it not representable in Unicode at this time? You give
> the sequence:
>
> LETTER A, VIRAMA, LETTER YA, VOWEL SIGN AA
>
> or as Walter Torrange wrote:
> U+0985 U+09CD U+09AF U+09BE
>
> which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Would there be any other
> conflicting interpretation of such a sequence? If not, could this just be
> documented as above?

The only reason it might not be representable is that some applications might
not accept a secondary letter after a vowel, and thus print it as

        LETTER A, DOTTED-CIRCLE, VIRAMA, LETTER YA, VOWEL SIGN AA,

or something like that, which is not what you want to see.

Jeroen.