Re: Is there a UTF that allows ISO 8859-1?

From: gwm@austin.ibm.com
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 10:31:28 EDT

>From: "Alain" <alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca>
>Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 05:00:50 -0700 (PDT)
>
>>Like Ken and some others, I think it's pretty cool that the
>>UTF-8 text could be shipped through different types of systems
>>using different editors without destroying its contents.
>>
>>-----------------------
>>Sandra Martin O'Donnell
>>odonnell@zk3.dec.com
>

>Yes, when information is not filtered out and transfered intact, there is
>always hope that it can be read while one upgrades to a better viewing
>system at least (or processed correctly at another level, while the
>information is transformed without loss). If at least this data integrity
>feature could have been true before in all systems this would have solved=
>lot of my problems with characters.
>
>I also think that this feature is great!
>
>Alain LaBonté
>Québec

With an admitted slight bias, I think that it is a pretty cool great
feature!

   Gary W. Miller Internet - gwm@austin.ibm.com
   IBM JTMS/903 ZIP 9374 X/Open - g.miller@xopen.co.uk
   11400 Burnet Road VNET - AUSTIN(GWM) / GWM at AUSTIN
   Austin, Texas 78758 SENDFILE - GWM at RALVM17
   Phone: (512) 838-8297 Fax: (512) 838-0169