Re: HIGH OGONEK in IR-158 (Skolt Sami)

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@Apple.com)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 13:17:39 EDT

> Does Unicode/UCS have some equivalent of the IR-158 HIGH OGONEK
> character in the queue? I couldn't find anything in Unicode 2.1.

Ken Whistler at one time wrote a detailed, highly researched paper (via
e-mail) on this "bogus" character HIGH OGONEK. I'll see if I can dig it up.

The bottom line is: there is no such thing, it's a spurious character. And
you should map it to one or the other of the glottal stops, only I can't
remember which it was, and Ken is out of contact until the end of the month.

Richard Verhoeven suggested MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA, and Joerg Knappen
suggested 02bf MODIFIER LETTER LEFT HALF RING...

        Rick