Re: RE: Missing DEC VT100 graphics characters

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 15:17:51 EDT

> Frank suggested (seconded by Markus):
> > > Each maker of terminal emulation products does the same thing, but does
> > > it differently, and this is a rather shameful and unnecessary waste of
> > > time and labor, and one that inhibits interoperability of applications.
>
> Rick responded:
>
> > Then they should band together and get themselves organized so they can
> > request the addition of their required graphical segments and line-drawing
> > stuff. I don't believe there's that much interest.
>
> I'd like to emphasize Rick's point, even though I'm more sympathetic to
> the needs of the terminal emulation products that he might be. What is
> missing here is somebody to do the actual work to make the detailed case
> for which characters are missing for which terminal emulations, to
> make the necessary unifications (if any), and to pull together and
> champion an actual proposal for addition of characters in UTC and WG2.
>
> Grousing about missing characters on the unicode list doesn't get them
> encoded. Those people who want them must make the case and be willing
> to drive through the standardization process in the ISO committee as well
> as in the UTC. It won't happen simply because someone says it should
> happen.

Right. As noted in my posting that crossed yours in the mail, I will do
that. However, I think the result will serve everyone better if this is
done after some discussion in this group -- at least enough to turn up a
quorum of interested parties with expertise in this area, so that posterity
need not place all its trust in me, personally.

I don't think there is any point debating the appropriateness of Unicode to
terminal emulators, but if others disagree of course I'll be more than happy
to defend that position. However, at the moment I am more interested in
ferreting out some likeminded individuals and then (since the detailed
discussions will no doubt be crushingly boring to the Unicode list as a
whole) to spin off the detailed discussion to a new mailing list (unless it
is the sense of this group to keep it here :-)

- Frank