Re: Burmese vowels

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 16:06:31 EDT

> I've been reviewing the Burmese Unicode proposal and have a couple of
> questions regarding Burmese vowels.

The ui vowels were omitted by specific agreement of the
ad hoc group at WG2 that worked on the FPDAM text. This was
with the input of a group of computer professionals
from Myanmar with implementation experience.

The status of a Burmese vowel as a phonological unit is distinct
from its status as an encoding unit. Decisions on encoding come
down to the details of an implementation model.

> If 'ui' is not included as a single code, then is it expected that it
> should be represented in the data stream with the two codes 'u' + 'i'?

As the proposal stands now, yes. Burmese vowel sign UI = U+172F + U+172D.

The model is still in contention. There are differences of opinion,
and gaps have been left in the table so that if implementation
experience demonstrates that including UI as a unit (and several
other vowels) would be better overall, such an amendment could be
made to the standard in the future without severely disrupting the
Burmese table.

--Ken