RE: UTF-8 text samples

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 09:21:05 EDT

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Donald Page wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kevin Bracey wrote:
>
> > In message <9810160027.AA10060@unicode.org>

> > What Donald did do wrong (or rather his software/OS did) was to label the
> > attachment as:

> > That totally scuppers display of the attachment in a charset-aware mail
> > reader.
>
> Hmm, yes don't know how to fix that one with pine. Any suggestions?

  In your particular case, you can just go to Pine configuration menu
and change charset to UTF-8(as ohter part of your message is just
US-ASCII which can be labeled as UTF-8 as well) . However, this is a
pain when you need to switch among different MIME charsets(e.g.
ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8) pretty often. Even worse is you can't send
multiple attachments(text/* type) in different MIME charsets.

  I've been pushing Pine developers to come up with a way to enable
users to designate MIME charset *per* attachment basis(and per header
basis as different mail headers can use different MIME charsets) and to
change MIME charset (temporarily) in mail composition screen(instead of
configuration menu) for a couple of years, but virtually nothing has
been added to their I18N/L10N support since Pine 3.93 or so.

    Jungshik Shin