Re: Greek accentuation marks

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 11:41:26 EDT

Ar 07:24 -0700 1998-10-16, scríobh Constantine Stathopoulos:
>At 06:17 ðì 16/10/1998 -0700, Michael Everson wrote:
>
>>Won't the Greek user most likely just use a keyboard driver and not give a
>>hoot where the character is encoded?
>
>Yes, but will the glyph displayed be the correct one? Right now it is not,
>since Unicode is incompatible with Greek Grammar in that respect.

Please write up a discussion paper on this, with examples, and submit it to
us as a PDF file. You need to establish concretely what "incompatibility
with Greek grammar" means. It could mean that there are some characters
which are shown with ypogegrammeni, for instance, which do not, according
to Greek grammar, take ypogegrammeni. In that case the character would be
useless (but harmless, as no one would use it). If it means something else,
I should think we'd need to see examples of the "incompatibility".

>Thanks once again for your invaluable help on these matters.

Well, I will look at your discussion paper and give my two eurocents' worth.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)