Re: Terminal Emulation

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 11:09:27 EST

OK, I will split the proposal into 2 or 3 parts.

I received clarification from SNI about some of their mystery characters,
in case anyone is curious:

 1. Many of the characters that were drawn as superscripts in the SNI
    97801 manual are not superscripts at all. Thus the controversial
    "Small Latin Letter a with underbar" really was feminine ordinal.
    The superscript math symbols were not superscripts, etc.

 2. The letterlike characters from the SNI Math set that I had in the
    first draft but later withdrew are in fact from ISO Registration
    103: Teletex Supplementary Set of Graphic Characters from CCITT
    (ITU-T) T.61. These include Lappish Eng, L with Middle Dot, H with
    Stroke, T with Stroke, Small Dotless i, Small n Preceded by Apostrophe,
    etc. All of these are in Unicode.

Thus most of the SNI-specific characters can be (will be, have been)
removed. Such are the hazards of looking at pictures that have no annotation.

- Frank