Re: UTF-8 and browsers

From: Kolbjørn Aambø (k.h.aambo@ub.uio.no)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 03:28:52 EST

>At 10/30/98 3:17 PM, Mark H. David (mhd@world.std.com) wrote:
>
>>What good is it if there is worldscript. Netscape and IE don't support it.
>>I have Hebrew worldscript installed, but when I view Hebrew in UTF8, it shows
>>garbage characters. I see no discernable improvement in support for
>>Hebrew Unicode in 8.5. Does anyone?
>
>Navigator and IE support WorldScript II (CJK). They do not support
>WorldScript I.
>
>The Mac OS can't force an application to support WorldScript I. If you
>want Hebrew support in IE or Navigator, you need to contact Microsoft and
>Netscape. We at Apple can't do anything about it.
>
>Sorry,
>

>David Goldsmith
>International and Text Department Architect
>Apple Computer, Inc.
>goldsmith@apple.com

Short clear answer but,
What you said can be interpreted as to entail that Apple has implemented
enough Unicode
support in 8.5 so it only remains for Netscape and Microsoft to take
advantage of it in their
browsers. Is that accurate? Or do they have to distribute an additional UCS
Font etc.?

Do I really have to buy Worldscript I to see Icelandic ETH, Thorn? It
should suffice with support for
Norwegian since these characters are used in Norway for the native Sami
languages....

Will this work more user friendly in MacOS X server that hopefully will be
released befor new year?

Best wishes

Kolbjørn Aambø

University of Oslo Library/Norwegian National Library