Re: UTF-8 and browsers

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 11:40:56 EST

  I intended to send the following mesg. to the Unicode list,but
replied only to David Goldsmith of Apple(my apology to him
who'd get two copies of the message). Hence, here it goes.

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, David Goldsmith wrote:

> Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu) wrote:
>
> > That's what I guessed when I replied to his query. However, to make it
> >clear, I'd like to ask you some more questions. (especially, I heard
> >from a Korean user that he can't view a UTF-8 encoded web page (mostly
> >of Korean precomposed Hangul syllables) at

  His configuration had some problem and others reported that
they had no problem viewing the page except that only a fifth
of Hangul syllables are rendered for the reason both of us know
well.

> > http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jshin/faq/utf8_kr.html
> >
> >with his Netscape 4.0x under English MacOS 8.x plus Korean Lang. Kit.
> >By supporting UTF-8, you meant both Netscape and MS IE can display web
> >pages encoded in UTF-8 with wide variety of characters drawn from UCS-2
> >(i.e. NOT just characters belonging to a single ISO-8859-x or one of CJK
> >BUT text made up of characters from multiple ISO-8859-x, CJK, and other
> >character sets) as long as (a) font(s) to render those characters are

  Thank you for your detailed answer on several aspects of Unicode
support in MacOS 8.5.

> I looked at this page using MS Internet Explorer 4.01 and Mac OS 8.5,
> with Multilingual Internet Access installed.
>
> When I first brought the page up, the introductory Korean was displayed
> using a Roman font, which appears to be a bug in Internet Explorer. The
> list of precomposed syllables was displayed about 4/5 question marks,
> which I expected since the Mac Korean fonts only contain the syllables
> used in our MacKorean character sets, not the full precomposed set in
> Unicode.

  Yes, that's exactly what I expected and I wrote at the beginning of
the page. I'm well aware MacKorean(based on KS X 1001 formerly KS C
5601) covers only a fifth of precomposed syllables in Unicode 2.0.

> I am pretty sure that Internet Explorer is capable of displaying UTF-8
> containing multiple scripts, as I've seen such pages displayed before.

 Just to make sure of what you recall, could you try the following page ?

     http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jshin/faq/utf8_unicode2.0.html

It enumerates most(perhaps 70%) characters in Unicode 2.0. Thank you,

     Jungshik Shin