Re: Displaying Plane 1 characters (annotating the code table

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 17:33:59 EST

John Cowan said:

> >From which we may deduce that all of the "Accepted" and "Pending"
> characters on http://www.unicode.org/unicode/alloc/Pipeline.html
> are slated to appear in Unicode 3.0, since they add up to the
> requisite number of new non-Han characters (3741).

NO! NO! NO! Don't let a rumor like that even get started!

There are PLENTY of things listed as "accepted" in that HTML document which
will *NOT* appear in Unicode 3.0. Specifically, at least the following will
NOT be in Unicode 3.0: Linear B, Cypriot Syllabary, Etruscan, Gothic, Greek
Byzantine Music Symbols, Deseret Alphabet, Shavian, Western Musical Symbols.

I don't speak officially... but I deduce this from knowing that no Surrogate
characters will be encoded in Unicode 3.0 or in the next edition of ISO
10646. As Ken said:

> Unicode 3.0 will *not* contain any encoded characters requiring surrogates.

        Rick