Re: Java's version of UTF-8

From: Christopher JS Vance (vance@usq.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 02:48:06 EST

In message <9811180655.AA11999@unicode.org>, Doug Ewell
<dewell@compuserve.com>
 wrote:
| (2) explain why it was necessary for Java to break the standard =
|
| to ensure that every character, EVEN THE NULL CHARACTER, be
| encoded without the use of the null character.

Java requires the ability to put all possible characters (including
Unicode null) into a string.

If the Java implementors wanted to enable use of null-terminated C
strings in the virtual machine, they would need to ensure that a UTF
null didn't terminate underlying operations early.

Not being a professional Javaist, I cannot confirm your first
question, nor can I be absolutely sure about my previous paragraphs.

-- Christopher Vance