Re: A Search for Exemplary Sentences

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 05:53:28 EST

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:42:05 +0100
From: Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie>
To: unicode@unicode.org
Subject: Re: A Search for Exemplary Sentences

Rick McGowan wrote:

> Unicoders...
>
> Suppose you had only one sentence, gleaned from the corpus of "classical
> literature" or poetry of your exalted mother tongue, in which to capture that
> language's beauty and cultural essence. What would it be? What sentence
> sums up everything? What great aphorism makes the patriotic pulses pound and
> sets all eyes to watering?
> Thanks in advance,
> Rick (rmcgowan@apple.com)

Here's one (from Ireland):

Ní fheadar conas é ná cad ina thaobh é, ach tá sé amhlaidh, agus sin a
bhfuil. (= I don't know how it is or why, but that's it the way it is,
and that's all there is to it.)

Ref.: Donnchadh Ó Drisceoil, _Aistí ó Chléire_, edited by Tomás de
Bhaldraithe, published by Clóchomhar, Dublin 1987.

Want more?:-)
Marion Gunn
<mgunn@egt.ie>