Re: A Search for Exemplary Sentences

From: Alain LaBont\i (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 10:52:47 EST

A 22:14 98-11-17 -0800, Markus Kuhn a écrit :
>"Massimo Fuchs" wrote on 1998-11-18 03:17 UTC:
>> The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over the Lazy Dog.
>> -- Unkown.
>
>Right. A probably technically more interesting collection would be
>short sentences in many languages that contain all characters and
>symbols used in these languages, just like the above famous Western
>Union telex test message does for English.
>
>Some common good test phrases I know are:
>
>de: Falsches Üben von Xylophonmusik quält jeden größeren Zwerg
>de: Zwölf Boxkämpfer jagten Sven quer über den Sylter Deich
>de: Heizölrückstoßabdämpfung (jqvwxy)
>en: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
>pl: Pchnąć w tę łódź jeża lub ośm skrzyń fig
>
>Do you know any other sentences that contain all characters or words
>that contain at least all non-ASCII characters of a language?

You mean "all essential characters", don't you (otherwise the list will
never be complete, "foreign" characters are imported in a given language,
like the N TILDE of "cañon" in French, the main spelling of thsi word,
whose *alternate spelling* is "canyon"). Same for the macrons used in many
French words of Indic origin, or the ö of "angström", a word that only
exists in French since the original spelling is rather "Ångström".

Apart from these considerations, this is a good challenge for French, I'll
try to make one sentence (which makes sense) up.

Alain