Re: A Search for Exemplary Sentences

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 14:50:31 EST

>Ar 06:46 -0800 1998-11-18, scríobh Alain:
>
>> I recently gave one which I think, says everything [ (; ] :
>>
>> ... car la parole est d'argent, mais le silence est d'or
>> --Jean de la Fontaine
>
>Did de la Fontaine originage this? My Yiddish grammar has:
>
> Redn iz zilbern, shvaygn iz gold.
>
>--
>Michael Everson

With apologies to Eric, the Devil is again tempting a normally
self-effacing Yiddishe mama (AKA Mother machree of Erin) to disagree with
the above msg posted on the Unicode list, because, according to her
Brewer's -- blest be the wise Welsh-by-extraction stallholder who sold it
her -- the English, possibly by way of French, proverb Speech is silver(n),
silence is golden is "an old proverb, said to be of oriental origin,
pointing to the advantage of keeping one's own counsel. The Hebrew
equivalent is 'If a word we worth one shekel, silence is worth two'." Now I
abjure you, Michael Everson, to henceforth observe the above rule, or run
the risk of offending, by your non-observance of it, even more people on
the Unicode list than we have done to date.
Marion Gunn
ps.
Is ASCII just a codeset, really and truly -- will there always be an
England?:-)
mg

--
Marion Gunn