Re: Glyphs of new Unicode 3.0 symbols

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 13:42:33 EST

Roman Czyborra wrote:

> ... I managed to write a little script
> http://czyborra.com/unifont/gif2bdf that helped me to compress the
> http://charts.unicode.org/Unicode.charts/Small.Glyphs/ into one handy
> font http://pub.cs.tu-berlin.de/doc/uxterm/unicode.bdf.gz (150 KB)
> with an amazing degree of completeness but suboptimal bitmap quality
> and bad kerning metrics :)

May I quote something? The main page of the charts says very clearly:

        The fonts used in these charts were provided to the Unicode
        Consortium by a number of font designers. Information on these
        font vendors is available at
                http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2book/u2fonts.html.
        Please don't download the charts or make local copies. Not only
        will your copies fail to reflect any corrections or additions
        which are made here, but making copies also fails to respect the
        legal rights of our font vendors.

In my opinion, it is rather bad form for Roman to make unicode.bdf.gz
available to the public. In some places, it might actually be illegal to do
so.

Moving along, Roman further wrote:

> I still miss the LATIN CAPITAL LETTER J WITH CARON from ISO 9, LATIN
> SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J from TeX, and LATIN SMALL AND CAPITAL LETTER G
> WITH TILDE ABOVE for Guarani (gn).

The proper way to request such things is to make a formal proposal. See the
Unicode.org web pages for instructions. Adding an off-hand remark to the
effect of missing particular characters does not bring them to the attention
of people who are likely to do anything about the situation.

        Rick