Re: Glyphs of new Unicode 3.0 symbols

From: Joan Aliprand (BR.JMA@rlg.org)
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 13:23:18 EST

From: Roman Czyborra <czyborra@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:50:09 -0800 (PST)

[snip]

>> > I also would like to see a standardized APPLE.
>> I thought corporate logos were off limits.
>
>According to most dictionaries, an APPLE is as innocent a fruit
>growing on trees as a BELL is a musical instrument rather than a
>corporate logo. A standardized APPLE character could of course be
>used for technical documentation describing Macintosh screens,
>keyboards and charsets, though.

In the very early days of Unicode development, the Apple logo was
used as an example of a character from an existing (i.e., Macintosh)
character set that would have to be mapped to a private-use value.

The Unicode Standard, Version 2.0 says (p. 1-3):

  The Unicode Standard does not include idiosyncratic, novel, rarely
  exchanged, or private-use characters, nor does it encode logos or
  graphics.

The Apple symbol is a corporate logo, and is a registered trademark of
Apple Computer, Inc. (See http://www.apple.com/legal/#tm for Apple
Computer's requirements for use.)

The vendor mapping table that lists Apple's use of private-use characters
(ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/CORPCHAR.TXT) says:

  # The following (1) is for the Mac OS Roman encoding
  # (also used in Symbol & Croatian).
  # NOTE: The graphic image associated with the Apple logo character is
  # not authorized for use without permission of Apple, and unauthorized
  # use might constitute trademark infringement.
  0xF8FF # Apple logo # Roman-0xF0, Symbol-0xF0, Croatian-0xD8

Apple Computer has published its recommendation. The issue is closed
unless Apple Computer (owner of the trademark) chooses to bring it up.

-- Joan Aliprand
   UTC Chair

To: UNICODE@UNICODE.ORG