Re: locale-*independent* vi editor supporting UTF-8

From: Werner LEMBERG (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Thu Nov 26 1998 - 16:57:30 EST

      Of course, I know of both of them :-) and I've been using Yudit (and
   have contributed a little to it) for a while. Yudit is nice(and two
   accompanying programs uniprint and uniconv are great), but it's obvious
   it's not so feature-rich as vi and Emacs so I was asking for UTF-8
   enabled vi(clones).

Mark Leisher has started the implementation of Unicode support for
Emacs a few weeks ago. Emacs will then be able to handle Unicode
(with surrogates area) and even a 94x94x94 character set in addition
to the currently available character sets -- 8 planes with 64k
characters are for private use also... this should be fairly enough
for the next few years.

    Werner