Re: Using *-iso10646-1 X11 fonts with Netscape 4.06

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 13:12:06 EST

John Cowan wrote:

> Markus Kuhn wrote:
>
> > If I specify to an application that I want to have one of the above
> > specific *-iso10646-1 fonts, then I think it is fair for the application
> > to assume that I take over responsibility that the specified font is
> > complete enough for my purposes.
>
> Good point. In that case, it is certainly a limitation of the
> Mozilla code, which does not look for fonts ending in "-iso10646-x",
> as it should do. In defense of the developer, no such fonts
> existed until recently.

Exactly. These *-iso10646-1 fonts didn't exist until recently.

There is hope, however. The Mozilla Organization
(http://www.mozilla.org/) is currently rewriting several parts of the
client, and this will have a big impact on fonts, too. We will probably
consider supporting *-iso10646-1 fonts.

However, since the external info isn't good enough, we will probably
have to look inside the fonts to see which glyphs they really have (or
don't have). Witness the recent addition of the euro glyph to several
fonts. (Is that a good example?)

Erik