Re: Dynamic shaping/composition of glyphs and Korean Hangul

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Fri Dec 25 1998 - 17:30:21 EST

Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu) wrote:

> I think my question was more than whether or not ATSUI/QuickDrawGX can
>handle Hangul represented with Hangul Combining Jamos at U1100-U11FF.
>More important is how it does. Does it support "many to many"(m to
>n) character(s) -> glyph(s) mapping model based on context? In other
>words, I'm wondering if it has an API function which returns a
>"string"(ordered set) of glyph indices given a string of
>characters(text) and a font(or fonts) to use for displaying that text
>and if it has an easy-to-use mechanism to allow addition of such
>functions(for fonts and character encodings not previously known). An
>example of this is offered by Sun's JDK for X11(user-defined
>character(s) to glyph indices mapping function can be specified in
>font.properties file).
>
> In summary, does it offer f1 and f2 as well as f3? Your answer assured
>me that f3 is available in ATSUI/QuickDraw GX, but it's not clear to
>me if it also offers f1 and f2.
>
> f1: (C1,C2,...,Cm) --> (G1,G2,....,Gn)
> f2: C --> (G1,G2,....,Gn)
> f3: (C1,C2,...,Cm) --> G
>

> As for Adobe's CID-keyed font, it doesn't seem to allow mapping of an
>ordered set of characters to an ordered set of glyph indices(i.e. f1 and
>f2) although it's debatable whether it's desirable that f1 and f2 be
>offered via CID-key mechanism.

Both ATSUI and QuickDraw GX are capable of arbitrary many-to-many
mappings using the AAT (Apple Advanced Typography) tables that can be
added to any TrueType or OpenType font. You can find out more about AAT
at <http://fonts.apple.com/>.

ATSUI supports nearly all of Unicode. The only things not supported are
some of the symmetric swapping control characters, native digit controls,
and one or two other things I can't remember.

Deborah Goldsmith
Architect, International & Text Group
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com