Re: UTF-8 in Linux console

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 17:49:59 EST

Something that is a major concern to me is the fact that the Linux
console is a botch of ISO 2022, in a way that really isn't fixable
(ISO 2022 treats the two halves of an 8-bit charset separately, Linux
doesn't. The current select code <ESC> ( B for ISO 8859-1 is really
the code for US-ASCII in the G0 area, and so is the *same* for *all*
the ISO 8859 codes -- they differ only in their G1 codes.) I'm
somewhat at a loss for how to fix it, too. One option is to say that
we don't care, and assign our own escape codes to everything. That
would rather suck, though.

        -hpa