Re: Unicode support under Linux

From: Werner LEMBERG (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 21:19:20 EST

> Exact same dream here. However, first of all xterm has to be made UTF-8
> aware, because all the other tools depend on it in daily use, then we
> can see further. We should try to get a decent UTF-8 -> TeX and
> UTF-8 -> LaTeX converter into GNU recode to do the preprocessing
> you suggested.

   Is this at all necessary when you use Omega?

No. It's quite easy to implement an UTF8 input filter so that Omega
can directly read UTF8.

In case you want to use the Unicode CJK repertoire with LaTeX, you may
also try my CJK package (available from the CTAN hosts in
pub/tex/langauge/chinese, e.g. ctan.tug.org) which can read UTF8
directly.

    Werner