Re: CCCII and CNS questions (& EACC facts)

From: Joan Aliprand (BR.JMA@rlg.org)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 21:45:44 EST

Werner LEMBERG <sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de> wrote in reply to my
posting:

> EACC (in part) is a SuBSET of CCCII. Werner Lemberg wrote "the
> CCCII fonts contain about 74000 glyphs". EACC contains over 13,000
> ideographs, and over 15,000 characters in all.
>
>Really? Only that small number of glyphs? Have there been never
>attempts to increase the number of available glyphs? Otherwise having
>a three-byte code is rather a waste of space...

EACC was published in 1989, and the first implementation of it, CJK support
on RLG's RLIN system, was released in September 1989.

At this time, work on the Unicode Standard had begun. RLG was soon
involved (because of our work on CJK) and was a founding member of the
Unicode Consortium.

We decided that it would be better to spend our time on the development of
the Unicode Standard with other experts, rather than add more characters to
EACC ourselves.

Version 1.0 of the Unicode Standard contained over 20,000 ideographs (half
as much again as in EACC). Over 6,000 more ("CJK Extension A") will appear
in Version 3.0, bringing the total to more than 27,000. All these
ideographs have been subjected to the careful scrutiny of the IRG experts.

[snip]

> If the intent of Werner Lemberg's project is the same as Doug
> Schiffer's -- to identify ideographs that are not in Unicode/ISO
> 10646 -- then there is no need to include EACC as there is a
> preliminary list of the EACC characters that are not in the URO
> (but could well be in CJK Extension A).
>
>No, my intent is a practical one. Since the available CCCII glyphs are
>very inconsistent in appearance I try to map to CNS as much as
>possible -- I use Omega (the 16bit TeX successor) for printing.
>Unfortunately, the CNS->Unicode mappings in the UNIHAN.TXT file are
>incorrect (not representing the latest CNS version).

If there is a mistake in what we have said about the data that is in
UNIHAN.TXT, please send details about the error to "errata@unicode.org."

But if the problem is that the CNS->Unicode mappings do not represent the
latest version of CNS, please remember that the work of the Unicode
Consortium is done largely by volunteers.

> Anyone working on identifying ideographs that are not in
> Unicode/ISO 10646 should make sure they know about the extensive
> work being done by the Ideographic Rapporteur Group. The IRG is
> responsible to WG2 for the analysis of ideographs. The IRG Web
> site is at http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~irg/
>
>Thanks for the pointer. But is there any CCCII related stuff? The
>Web page isn't very informative...

I doubt that you will find any CCCII information at the IRG Web site. The
information that is there relates to IRG projects and work. Perhaps other
people on this list can send you locations for CCCII information.

-- Joan Aliprand, RLG

To: UNICODE@UNICODE.ORG