Re: question re: Hebrew accents

From: Jonathan Rosenne (rosenne@qsm.co.il)
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 12:37:28 EST

There are indeed two characters, Zarqa and Tsinor, 0598 and 05AE.

Zarqa and Tsinorit look the same and have similar meaning, but cannot be
confused because Zarqa is used only with the 21 books of the Old Testament
and Tsinorit only with the 3 EMET books (Job, Proverbs, Psalms).

The placement of accents depends on the shape of the letter and the points
it carries. They actually belong to the word, not to a specific letter of
it, and are normally placed on the consonant of the syllable that has the
emphasis.

Jony

The placement of the accents depends on the