Re: UTF-8 in web pages

From: Chris Wendt (christw@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 17:33:50 EST

>For Far East country, Japan, Korean, PRC, Taiwan, UTF-8 is 1.5 times bigger
>than their local encoding.

True, but not really relevant anymore because pages today contain _way_ more
markup and images than actual content :-(
Or maybe a picture says more than a 1000 words....

>Also, please remember Unicode unifies Hanji characters,

You can influence this by tagging the content with a lang attribute, i.e.
<HTML lang=zh-cn>. In this example the unified Han will be preferably
rendered with a simplified Chinese font.

>>but sometimes it will be displayed in Chinese font

Again this will not happen if you apply the language attributes for Han
disambiguation.

The strength of UTF-8 is visible in multilingual sites. The (now defunct)
Internet Explorer Channel Guide was completely authored in UTF-8 because it
allowed to preview channels of any language within a framework of pages in
any other language. We did not want to use frames but instead display the
channel description fed by a UTF-8 only database into any other language's
pages.

UTF-8 is your only option for languages without widely established multibyte
encodings. Just pick any Unicode range between Arabic and Hangul and try to
find a widely supported multibyte encoding that covers these scripts.