Hangul and Jamo

From: Kevin Bracey (kbracey@e-14.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 04:53:21 EST

I've been studying the implementation of Korean in the Unicode Standard,
and have a few queries.

Firstly, are characters in the Hangul Syllables block canonically equivalent
to their decomposed conjoining Jamo? It is implied, but I can't see it
explicitly stated anywhere.

Secondly, the Hangul Jamo block has lots of compatibility decompositions;
for example

        11AC (NJ) ~= 11AB (N) + 11BD (J)

Are these really only compatibility decompositions, not canonical
decompositions? Is G A NJ (1100 1161 11AC = AC05) really not canonically
equivalent to G A N J (1100 1161 11AB 11BD)? This would imply that the
composed form NJ has extra formatting information that is lost by
decomposing (conformance requirement D20). What formatting information?

In section 3.10, stage 1 of Hangul Syllable Composition says to "compose
the conjoining jamo wherever passible". As the only compositions are
compatibility compositions, does that mean that the Hangul syllables are
really only compatibility compositions of the conjoining Jamo?

--
Kevin Bracey, Senior Software Engineer
Acorn Computers Ltd                           Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725228